Sunday, January 31, 2010

Newbies

Well I've been getting into shape again. It's about time! I think I am going to do a half-marathon in the Fall, so I want to be in shape for it once it's time to start training. Which is soon. I think the marathon last year was a little much for me to make a respectable time goal, so I'm going to backtrack and work harder.

I have been surfing! I got up a few weeks ago, under Isaac's instruction. Actually getting up and riding a board down the wave was exhilarating. I screamed, quite loudly, "I'm doing it!! I'm DOIIINNNNG IIITTT!" which subsequently made me seem like a huge dorky haole. Oh well. It felt amazing, and made all of the soreness in my arms and neck from paddling worth it. The other people out in the surf with us were super friendly. The kind of people who act like they've always known you, despite not knowing your name. They'd help me out a lot "Paddle paddle paddle! You can catch this wave, go go go girl!" and "Ah, that's ok that you fell, you'll get up next time." The less competitive surfers are friendly and I like them. (But it'll be years before I attempt introducing myself on the North shore, which is much less friendly to people who aren't as good at surfing).

Did some whale watching last week. A video of a few clips of the whales we saw is up on my facebook. Why is it that we feel a need to connect with animals in a completely different world? Is it good or bad? I don't know, but the entire time, I wanted nothing but to put on a snorkel mask and fins, and jump in and introduce myself. Maybe I was a whale in a past life.

We have new neighbors! They're pretty cool. One of them kinda reminds me of some of the folks back in Chinle. They are new, and I love not being the newest kid on the block now. I have been sharing with them all the things I didn't pick up on quickly enough when we first got here, trying to be helpful of. (And hopefully being more helpful than annoying). Taking them to one of my favorite beaches today.

New friends? Let's hope. Make new friends, keep the old, one is silver, the others need to get out here and visit.

:-)

Aloha!

3 comments:

Beth said...

I'm probably doing a half marathon in mid-August, if you're able to make it out to CO then. If I'M able to make it out to CO then, come to think of it! But I'll invite you anyways, with my fingers crossed.

Julie said...

Yeah!!!!!! You rode your first wave!!!! We have been watching a bunch of surfing lately -- you'll have to teach me once we get out butts out there :o)
Bought Tangerine Dream to paint our bathroom!

The Schaefers Go To Hawaii said...

Beth - What happened to your blog? I am not sure if I could train hard enough at sea level to run well at elevation...but I will think about it! :-)

Julie - Yes! Isaac is a better teacher than I, but you def need to get your butts down here! Post pictures of the bathroom when you're done. Love orange!