Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dog Days

Today ended week 1 of training. We've all been pre-training, but Monday was the first day of the 26 week running program we're using.

My dog, Dax, has a big need for exercise. Daily long walks aren't enough. Today I decided to test him on a 3-mile run.

He handled the distance like a champ. He was eager to kill a few ground hogs and show off for a pack of stray dogs, so I had to let him off the leash. Pacing myself for 1/2 a mile with a dog who is a naturally fast runner was exhausting, but I made it, after slowing down for the next 2.5 miles.

I'm not entirely sure I'll keep up the habit of taking him on the weekend runs. I think Alicia lucked out with Royal; Dax prefers to do his own thing. This was a good running lesson for me: 1) set your own pace! don't try to pace yourself with an animal capable of going a suburban speed limit, or anyone who's much faster than me. 2) running in solitude isn't so bad, after all.

--Natalie

No comments: