Tuesday, November 2, 2010

And Then It Hit Us

Hawaii is home now. We decided this recently. Chalk it up to the economy, the job market, and the need to finally start settling down. Living in paradise sort of helps the decision to start getting rooted as well.

For the foreseeable future, we will be bunkering down here.

Although it is sad that the location of our home makes it difficult to see family and friends often enough, no happy life comes without some sort of sacrifice. Perhaps, though, those few times we spend with family each year will feel a little sweeter because they'll be just a little more precious than before.

There will always be a list of things I will miss and love about my mainland home (hey, I'm a typical human. Look to one of those very evolved Nirvana-esque monks if you want inner perfection). But recently, I have been working on focusing on the things I am comforted by and am delighted by in our Hawaiian home:

  • Geckos. Splendid, rainbow-colored, cute-as-buttons geckos. 
  • Poi dogs.
  • Beaches, beaches, beaches, as far as the eye can see.
  • Sunshine.
  • Variety in languages.
  • Aloha.
  • Mangoes (and mango salsa, mango smoothies, mango in everything. I never get tired of mangoes!)
  • Fresh fish.
  • Wonderful Asian food. (Pretty sure the world's best bowl of Thom Kah Kai exists in this little town).
  • Healthy people.
  • My continually tan skin.
  • Wearing slippers every day.
  • Hitch hikers (they can be annoying, too. But I love that I live somewhere that is so safe and friendly that hitch hiking is legal and common practice).
  • That locals kiss each other on the cheek when greeting hello or goodbye. (And all this time, I thought that was a purely European thing!)
  • Women of every age who love to shake their hips.
  • A husband who looks like a kid in a candy store every time he goes diving or snorkeling.
  • Guessing the weight of the honu every time we see one on a beach.
  • The ocean-view sunset from our lanai.
  • A people who know exactly how gorgeous their home is; and who, as a result, are quite particular about keeping it clean and well-loved.

The list goes on and on. I think, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I will be posting pictures of things for which I am thankful in this green, sunny home of ours. Mahalo, Hawai'i!

Aloha.

No comments: